Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Joy

As followers of Jesus we're supposed to trust him. And I do. I do. Today, I realized my trust came with a qualifier. I will trust as long as I think it is safe and reasonable to do so. My insight, painful as was, reminded me I'm not done growing. There is so much more the Lord needs to do in me.
Each morning we pile into the back of a truck and drive up a winding hill to our village. Each day we pile back in and careen back down the same winding hill. It is exhillerating and different and for me, somewhat terrifying. This truck is not like ones back home. There are issues. When we were finished building today everyone piled in with the equipment. Not just the fourteen of us but several, several, several villagers. At least five children perched on the top rail. Its difficult to explain, but fear and trepidation pumped through me.
Driving home I expected the Lord to comfort me. He had other plans. Do I trust him? Do I trust him even on the back of a truck with welding issues? Do I trust him to care for me and protect me? It took a few minutes of pouting, but I came to the decision that I want to trust him in EVERYTHING. Even on the back of our truck.
I did imagine angels holding the rails together, but a little imagination goes a long way.

3 comments:

  1. someone once said to me that they didn't think that Christians should ever pray for safety...rather that we should pray to be dangerous. Not sure how I feel about that, except that I don't think I could ever feel like a responsible parent or friend if I did not pray for God to watch over and protect my loved ones! So Joy, I pray God's protection over you all as you travel the treacherous roads, but I also pray that you will become dangerous! Dangerous to the plans of the evil one who would try to thwart God's plans by planting fear in your hearts. May the Lord shield you from fear and release you to do his work today!!! Love ya!...
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Amanda, Deve and Joe and have been checking in on this blog everyday. I must tell you that I really enjoy reading your posts. You are very candid about yourself and I can understand your qualifiers, I feel like I can relate to you. All I want to say is thank you for your posts, it makes me feel human.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi to ALL
    I find myself paying for ALL of you. Please tell Julia I have been able to get ALL the Blogs. I wish I were there. I Am just waiting to hear ALL the stories you will have to share.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete