Saturday, October 13, 2012

Coming Down from the Mountain

Sometimes it's difficult to find the right words to artfully describe all the things we see, hear and smell here in El Salvador each day. The sights are awe-inspiring. The sounds are often other worldly. The smells are over-powering (to put it mildly). But I know that God has brought it all together in a perfect package that only He could create so beautifully.
The people here still surprise me in both lovely and haunting ways. To see villagers fighting (truly fighting) over a cardboard box this morning was heart breaking. To see unfettered joy on the faces of little children at the orphanage this evening was heart expanding.  Knowing we brought food to so many families this morning was so fulfilling but knowing we couldn't provide for all who were needy is unacceptable.
 I think it all came together for me this afternoon as I sat in a Wendy's/Pizza Hut parking lot in San Salvador. (Yes, they really have those here. I was even in a Wal-Mart today.)  I realized that I had come down off the mountain, quite literally. "Those people" were back there. And I was now back in the "real world".  It occurred to me that I had told a lovely man named Lazarus (father and husband of the family of house #2) that even though he had come there to hide with his family, God had not forgotten him there in the mountains of Victoria. Would I forget him?  I pray that I don't...

I lift my eyes up to the mountains,
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from Him,
Maker of heaven,
Creator of the Earth...

Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Jesus and the three came down the mountain and saw the real world: His disciples, not able to help a father and his son, watched and heard the man say, "... I believe; help my unbelief..."
    KA

    ReplyDelete